Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living person. When “you” or “your” are used in this statement, we are referring to the relevant individual who is the subject of the personal data. OCA processes personal data for numerous purposes, and the means of collection, lawful basis of processing, use, disclosure, and retention periods for each purpose may differ.
“OCA” (and “we”, “us”, or “our”) refers to On Call Africa SCIO, a charity registered with the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator number SC041546
How we collect your Data
We collect your data in a number of ways: when you donate, join our mailing list, enquire about volunteering, volunteer or work for us in Zambia, or when you use the contact form on our website to get in touch with us. This information may include your name, title, email address, physical address, telephone numbers, professional qualifications, passport details and job title. We may also ask for some additional, non-personal information.
How we use your Data
Staff, Trustees and Volunteers
- Your personal information will only be used to enable you to carry out your work in Zambia.
- You will not be added to our mailing list unless you explicitly request to be added.
- We will share your information with OCA Ltd in Zambia.
- When submitting a volunteer application online, data is processed by Better Impact Software Ltd, which is a customer relationship management (CRM) tool. OCA has a data processing agreement with Better Impact to ensure services are performed in accordance with relevant regulations and will only process personal data in accordance with the delivery and support of the CRM as part of your volunteer application process, unless required to do otherwise by law.
- If you are applying to volunteer or work with us, we will use your personal information to seek references, perform checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service, check your registration status with the General Medical Council or other regulatory bodies, and to assist your registration as a doctor in Zambia.
- To enable you to register as a doctor in Zambia we will share some of your personal information with the Southern Provincial Health Director in Choma, and with The Registrar of the Health Professions Council of Zambia in Lusaka. This information will be shared as hard copies of the documentation you send to us in connection with your application.
Donors and Mailing Subscribers
- We store basic personal information for donors and mailing subscribers that are not engaged with direct delivery. This enables us to keep in touch as requested and meet accounting and donor reporting requirements. No further information is stored.
- OCA collect anonymised patient data relating to diagnosis and treatment in a secure database and share this data with the Ministry of Health and Rural Health Centres, to ensure that they can make informed decisions about health interventions.
- This data is used to analyse impact, to report to donors, and to assess changes within communities over time.
How we store your Data
- OCA stores all information relating to individuals in a secure online cloud or on our secure online database.
- No personal information is stored on staff computers or external hard drives unless necessary. When this is required, additional password protection is used to protect this information.
- When working in Zambia we sometimes need to keep paper copies of personal data, such as passport details to support visa renewals and doctor registrations. These files are kept securely in a safe and are destroyed as soon as the volunteer has departed.
- OCA stores personal information of all individuals who sign up to our mailing list. If individuals opt out of communication, their personal information will be deleted, unless it is being stored for the following purposes.
- OCA stores name, address, gift aid eligibility, email address and giving history for a period of five years from the date of the last donation. This is stored to meet accounting and HMRC requirements.
- OCA stores personal and training files about all volunteers, Community Health Workers and staff working in Zambia and the UK for a period of 6 years following the end of their role with us. (Information that is used for statistical reporting after this date is anonymised)
- Accident, complaint, and safeguarding reports are kept for 3 years since the last entry, or if it involves a child until they reach 21
- Personal information for volunteer applicants and job applicants that are unsuccessful are kept for 12 months.
- We only send you marketing emails, including our newsletter, if you have given us your consent.
- You can unsubscribe to our emails at any time, by using the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of all our emails, or by getting in touch email@example.com
- Communications in connection with our activities may be sent by e-mail. For ease of use and compatibility, communications (other than payments where applicable) will not be sent in an encrypted form unless you require it and provide the certification to enable us to communicate with you in that way.
- E-mail unless encrypted is not a fully secure means of communication. Whilst we endeavour to keep our systems and communications protected against viruses and other harmful effects, we cannot bear responsibility for all communications being virus-free.
- We use your postal address to thank you for your donation(s) where we do not have an email address, or you unsubscribed from our email communications but have opted into postal communication.
- Communications in connection with your registration as a doctor in Zambia may be sent by signed for mail in the UK, or by international courier to Zambia.
- We use your telephone number to provide information, including fundraising and marketing if we have consent from you to do so.
- We will not contact you by telephone if you are registered on the Telephone Preferential Service (TPS) unless we have a specific opt-in from you for us to contact you by telephone or the call is of administrative nature.
- We will not use your number to send you mobile phone text messages unless we have your approval to do so.
Use of Information and Media
- We ask for consent to use stories and digital media for publicising the work we do.
- OCA will not sell, trade, or rent your personal contact details to any organisation.
- We do use third-party financial institutions to process our donations. They receive the card number and other personal information only to verify and process transactions securely.
- We do not allow for any third parties to sell, trade, or rent this data or use it for anything other than what they are contracted to do, or store the data over a long-term period.
If you do wish to exercise any of your rights, as listed below please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Access to your personal information.
- Objection to processing of your personal information.
- Objection to automated decision-making and profiling.
- Restriction of processing of your personal information.
- Your personal data portability.
- Rectification of your personal information; and
- Erasure of your personal information
If you make a request relating to any of your rights listed above, we will consider each request in accordance with all applicable data protection laws and regulations. No administration fee will be charged for considering and/or complying with such a request unless the request is deemed to be excessive in nature.
Upon successful verification of your identity, you are entitled to obtain the following information about your own personal information:
- The purposes of the collection, processing, use and storage of your personal data. The source(s) of the personal information if it was not obtained from you.
- The categories of personal data stored about you.
- The recipients or categories of recipients to whom your personal data has been or may be transmitted, along with the location of those recipients.
- The envisaged period of storage for your personal data or the rationale for determining the storage period.
- The use of any automated decision-making and/or profiling.
You can make the above request by emailing email@example.com