Volunteer your Expertise Remotely
Are you looking to share your expertise as a volunteer? We’re keen to hear from you if you are, simply fill out our application form online below and tell us the skills you’re looking to share.
Our remote volunteers come from both clinical and non-clinical backgrounds and are currently involved with quality improvement projects, reviewing the resources we use to deliver medical care, provide training and raise health awareness messages as well as providing technical knowledge to change the way we use digital technology to collect, share data and manage finances.
We’re looking forward to hearing more about the journey we can take together with your expertise.
Volunteer as a Doctor in Zambia
Are you looking to experience medicine in a challenging, under-resourced environment?
Does the concept of spending most of your time in the African bush, driving to remote villages in an off-road vehicle, camping in village schools and working with Zambian volunteers and health workers to improve healthcare in their community sound appealing?
Volunteering in Zambia with On Call Africa is a truly life changing experience and we’re recruiting teams of eight Doctors to support our mission. You can find out more about the role by downloading a Volunteer Doctor Role Description.
As a Volunteer Doctor you’ll be working on mobile medical clinics, bringing medical care to communities who have no access to healthcare facilities in rural Zambia. Clinics provide doctors with a good opportunity to experience a mix of infectious diseases, chronic illness and acute medicine. The mobile medical service includes health education workshops and our community health worker training programme is something in which you will be very much involved; training and assessing local community health volunteers both in their villages and during residential training weeks in Livingstone.
You can apply to volunteer throughout 2021 and 2022. We’re currently recruiting Volunteer Doctors who are available between:
- February – April 2021 (No Vacancies, you are welcome to apply and register your interest if you’d like to be on our reserve list for these dates)
- May – July 2021 (No Vacancies, you are welcome to apply and register your interest if you’d like to be on our reserve list for these dates)
- September – November 2021 (6 of 8 Vacancies Remaining)
- February – April 2022 (8 of 8 Vacancies Remaining)
- May – July 2022 (8 of 8 Vacancies Remaining)
- September – November 2022 (7 of 8 Vacancies Remaining)
If you’d like to discuss a custom date range that isn’t listed above, don’t hesitate to get in touch and we can talk about this together.
What can you expect?
- You will be working with a multi-disciplined team of between 4 and 8 clinicians with a range of experience.
- Our volunteers range from having recently completed foundation year 2 through to retirement.
- You will be supported by a dedicated project team from the point of application and whilst volunteering.
- Our volunteer placements last upwards from 3 months with a maximum of 6.
- You will be based in central Livingstone and support a calendar of activity which will see you travel into more rural villages during the week.
- Our volunteers are provided with all accommodation, food and in country transportation whilst delivering voluntary activity
- You wont be volunteering all the time and will have the opportunity to spend weekends and two break weeks exploring Zambia and neighboring countries at your leisure.
Who are we looking for?
- We ask that you will have completed your Foundation Year 2 (FY2) by the time you travel to Zambia.
- We’re looking for volunteers who are ready to embrace this opportunity both mentally and physically, adapting to a different way of life.
- We’d like volunteers to be committed to working as a team in an under-resourced environment.
What should you know?
- We support our volunteers throughout the application process whilst in the UK and Zambia
- Our volunteers pay a contribution towards project costs and arrange their own air travel, travel insurance and visas – you can find out more these costs in our Volunteer Fact Sheet
- If you’ve read the available information you can click below and apply online, or if your feeling nostalgic, you can download an application form by clicking here. Fill it in using a word processor or a good old fashioned pen then email or post it to us.
- If you still have questions, we’d love to chat to you. You can send us an email or schedule an informal chat at a date and time convenient to you by clicking the options below.
Still have Questions about Volunteering?
You might still have questions about volunteering with On Call Africa, or perhaps you want to help out in other ways not currently listed. We’d love to hear more from you and you can send us questions via email or schedule a call back with our team to discuss then over the phone or Skype.