Are you looking to experience medicine in a challenging, under-resourced environment?
Does the concept of spending most of your time in the African bush, driving to remote villages in an off-road vehicle, camping in village schools and working with Zambian volunteers and health workers to improve healthcare in their community sound appealing?
Volunteering in Zambia with On Call Africa is a truly life changing experience and we’re recruiting teams of eight Doctors to support our mission.
Thanks to everyone who applied to volunteer in 2020, we’ve now filled all our vacancies and our recruitment for this year has now closed. But you can apply to volunteer throughout 2021, We’re currently recruiting Volunteer Doctors who are available between:
- January – April 2021 (8 Vacancies Remaining)
- April – July 2021 (8 Vacancies Remaining)
- September – December 2021 (8 Vacancies Remaining)
You’ll be working on mobile medical clinics, bringing medical care to communities who have no access to healthcare facilities in rural Zambia. Clinics provide doctors with a good opportunity to experience a mix of infectious diseases, chronic illness and acute medicine. The mobile medical service includes health education workshops and our community health worker training programme is something in which you will be very much involved; training and assessing local community health volunteers both in their villages and during residential training weeks in Livingstone.
What can you expect?
- You will be working with a multi-disciplined team of between 4 and 8 clinicians with a range of experience.
- Our volunteers range from having recently completed foundation year 2 through to retirement.
- You will be supported by a dedicated project team from the point of application and whilst volunteering.
- Our volunteer placements last upwards from 3 months with a maximum of 6.
- You will be based in central Livingstone and support a calendar of activity which will see you travel into more rural villages during the week.
- Our volunteers are provided with all accommodation, food and in country transportation whilst delivering voluntary activity
- You wont be volunteering all the time and will have the opportunity to spend weekends and two break weeks exploring Zambia and neighboring countries at your leisure.
Who are we looking for?
- We ask that you will have completed your Foundation Year 2 (FY2) by the time you travel to Zambia.
- We’re looking for volunteers who are ready to embrace this opportunity both mentally and physically, adapting to a different way of life.
- We’d like volunteers to be committed to working as a team in an under-resourced environment.
What should you know?
- We support our volunteers throughout the application process whilst in the UK and Zambia
- Our volunteers pay a contribution towards project costs and arrange their own air travel, travel insurance and visas – you can find out more these costs in our Volunteer Fact Sheet
Ready to apply?
If you’ve read the available information and still have questions, we’d love to chat to you. You can send us an email or schedule an informal chat by clicking below.